At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 19, 2012

Those tight lips and glassy eyes are gone. I was just looking at his picture at the kill pen, and saw how very worried he was. Tonight I sat on the big, round bale while he snuggled up close and munched his way through. I softly whispered, (he stopped eating, turned and listened)..."you'll never have to be hungry again. You'll always have as much as you want, your own herd, and green pastures. You'll always know love". He sniffed me from the top of my head, all the way down to my boots, and then back to my face, and lingered there. It's a love affair, really. I'm not sure if it's me feeling something, him, or there just isn't a line anymore. Same with Ecipse and Bit. I can feel the pull of the herd, how powerful it is. If I go somewhere else, I'm thinking about the horses, and wishing I was there. When I'm with one or all of them, I feel safety, comfort and joy. Dare say, I am herd bound.
Guess I will be taking all three horses down to Wichita to work cattle. Not Shaun, but he'll be along for the adventure. Maybe David can help me with him a bit. David studied with Ray Hunt an is a remarkable horseman...hell of a guy, too. I really love this horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment