At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Friday, July 22, 2011

Cusack, but you can call me Shaun

Cusack is a New Zealand off the track race horse. That means, he started as a race horse, and now he's off the track and no longer has value to the racing world. A lot of those horses you see on the track wind up in great homes, or retirement is provided by the jockey club. A lot, like Cusack end up in kill pens, shipped to Mexico or Canada and face a horrific fate.
I first saw Cusack on facebook. One of my friends had posted his picture in hopes that someone would step up and rescue him via auction horses. Auction horses is a wonderful group of people, ever viligent at recueing each and every horse that goes through the kill pen where they are located.
I always mange to walk away from these darn pictures of horses in desparate need. As my husband says, "you can't save them all". I didn't have the means to save a horse on the other side of the country, anyway. Until I saw Cusack. He was confused, anxious, in pain from standing on concrete for two weeks, and the first time I saw his picture, I gasped. I also knew I was in trouble. I didn't know how, but I was determined to save this one. May not save em all, but this one was not going to slaughter.
After a some back and forth posts on facebook, I found out Cusack was located a world away, in Washington state. Not only did I have to purchas him, but I had to come up with the money to ship him 1/2 way across the country. I needed a miracle, so I asked. A few minutes later, I got the miracle Cusack needed. Susan Young, a New Zealand import, now living in Florida contacted Horsetalknz, and Neil and Robin said they would contribute the funds necessary to get Cusack to Kansas. Simple, right? It was just the beginning. Cusack was going to need a lot more miracles for him to be able to come home, and escape the horrific conditions he now found himself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment