At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ya can't get there from here

The last time I shipped a horse from California to Kansas, it was around 800.00. Same amount when I shipped Hawk to Kansas. It was a long time ago, but I assumed it would be about the same. I was wrong. Shipping Shaun would be twice what I thought. Neil let his readers know, and we were astounded at the support this big horse received! People sacraficed their MORNING STARBUCKS! Some gave a little, some gave a lot.
Paul Lynch owns 4rail horse transport, he's the only driver, and a great horse shipper. The only trouble is, if he's not where I need him to be, and coming this way, it doesn't work out. The amazing thing is, he always seems to be right where I need him. Paul and his wife were supposed to be in Ireland celebrating thier 10th wedding anniversary. Because it was the tourist season, they decided to postpone Ireland, and celebrate...you guessed it, in the Pacific Northwest. Not too far from Enunclaw, Washington. How many miracles does this make? Stacy, who owns the barn where Shaun was recovering was generous enough to let Paul park his rig at her barn while he and his wife enjoyed their anniversary. That would put Shaun's departure date exacty one month after he left the kill pen, which gave him just enough time to put on a little weight, get his feet done, and his body a chance to heal. Just enough time, exactly. One more miracle.
Meanwhile, a terrible virus broke out in the horse community, and panic spread. The major vet hosital in Enumclaw was shut down due to a horse there having the virus. You couldn't transport a horse out of Washington without a vet taking his temp within 24 hours of departure and signing off on his health certificate. It was rumored state borders would be closing for horse transport. Paul and I were very concerned that we would even be able to get Shuan out of Washington. More cases of the virus were showing up, as the date to transport Shuan loomed.
Meanwhile, we needed a brand inspection. It's required in a lot of states, and Shaun had already left the auction house where they were being done. I called the woman that does the inspection, in hopes she would go to the barn where he was boarded and do another inspection. He had already had one, when he was first admitted to the kill pen. Another miracle, she didn't need to see him. She remembered my horse, and left another brand inspection at the kill pen office where Lisa picked it up.
I was starting to realize that Shaun was supposed to come to Kansas, all along. It was as if the universe was rearranging reality, just so this big horse could find his way to Kansas. Most days I just shook my head, smiled and knew it would all work out. It's not that I take miracles for granted. There had been so many, living in grace was starting to feel normal. Did I mention, Paul transported Shaun for 875.00? Another miracle, and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment