At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pappa's got a new pair of shoes!

We tried bare foot, hoof hardner, and I could tell that Shaun wasn't doing well. Limping, head bobbing bad. I got in touch with a friend that is a rep for easy boot to see what we might be able to do for him. He cannot take any more nails in his feet. She was leaving for a mounted shooting clinic in Missouri, I had a doctors appointment, but if I rocketed up and traced his foot image on a piece of cardboard, then broke land speed records (sorry how sweaty and smelly I am doc) I could just make it to her house in time to pick up two pair of easy boot Trails. Two sizes because we didn't quite know what would fit and what wouldn't.
I cut out the cardboard images and fit them in the boots. Not so good on the size three, but he fours were looking promising. I inserted the comfy pads, sprayed them with athlete's foot powder, grabbed the pastern wraps and headed for the shelter. It's 103 out, and I wanted to fit these shoes in the shade, plus I have the mister system going so I wouldn't just melt into a puddle. It was getting Shaun's dinner time, so it was working out just perfect. Funny how all this has worked out just perfect.
Shaun is a horse that has horrendous ground manners. Picking up one of his feet is like trying to pick up a truck. Today I asked, and up comes the foot. That's weird, but I'll take it. I wrestled the pastern wrap on, which is a bit like trying to put on tight, wet jeans. Pastern wraps are like a neoprene 1/2 sock that keeps the boot from rubbing. He just stood there patiently while I sweated, grunted and got it on. Next I slipped on the boot, and viola! Same thing the other side. It's like he knew I was trying to help.
Then...he walked. Clumsy at first, but then he started doing some serious walking. Came over to me four times and thanked me. If you've ever been thanked by a horse, from the bottom of his heart, you know what I'm talking about. Bent his head around and hugged me to his shoulder. Rub, rub, big eyes, and then more walking. He got better at it, too. The clunky shoes and he were starting to get along, and he was moving even better. I think it's the first time in years that he's walked without pain.
I hear that when a horse walks, and there is pressure on that thin hoof wall at the toe, it's like pulling your nail away from your finger. His hoof wall is so thin, any pressure is painful. Now, that weight is evenly distributed. He has a pad that is encouraging his frog to pump blood with every step. More blood, better hoof growth, better hoof. He's a different horse. You can see it in his eyes, too. I thought he was just sad. Nope, he was in pain.
I'll go out and throw on the gold bond foot powder (Pete Remey trick) and make sure he's not rubbing anywhere. I'll give his feet a break for about an hour a day. We'll gradually build up the time, once his foot starts to get healthier.
No more pain. What a concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment