At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

present day

Have been practicing Carolyn Resnic's, water hole rituals with my horses for a couple of years now. One of the first rituals is called sharing territory. It's probably the most important, and enjoyable things I do with the herd. You sit in a chair (read a book until you can sit there with your mind in the present moment) and spend time with your horse. No touching him, but he can touch you. It gives the horse, choice. Choice to be with you, choose your company and explore you. He can do anything he wants, as long as you feel safe. This morning Shaun and I kept company. He stood as close as he could with his head right next to me, and fell asleep. At one point Hawk, my arabian, decided to try and chase him off. Yep, I protected Shuan, and made Hawk go wait by the mares. We sat under the mister system, soft, cooling mist falling on us, as we dozed and relaxed.
Shaun likes the barn cats quite a bit, but the cats aren't inclined to trust the horses. Hawk has tried to play "wack a mole" way too many times for those cats to trust a horse. Still, this gentle giant regards the barn cats with interest and kindness. They will wound their bodies around his legs and lie next to him and sleep. It gives you an idea of this ottb's heart. It must have been so stressful for him to run as he did, and he still will not let me near him with anything resembling a whip. T touch uses a white dressage-like whip to guide a horse. No hitting, but some tapping for body awareness. Some rubbing too. The only thing he will let me near him with is the reed that I use for the waterhole rituals.
I can't imagine the life he must have endured before hitting that kill pen. I tell him everyday, "you are home. You are safe. Please be happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment