At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Friday, September 2, 2011

A little thrushy

I took off Shaun's boots and he smelled a little thrusy this morning, so left boots off, treated him with thrush buster and giving him a little more time for his feet to dry out. Shaun is getting a lot better at picking up his feet. Maybe because I'm working with them so much, or maybe because he knows I'm trying to help him. Probably a bit of both.
It's been hard to make myself go out and spend time with everyone because it so hot. 100 degrees with humidity right now, but Sunday is another story! Maybe we can get back to some riding! If I can't ask myself to get out there and play, why would I ask my horses? Yes, there is a point where it's too hot to ride.
This morning I spent "nappy time" with the herd in the shelter under the mister. We all had a nice nap, and I made sure no one picked on Shuan and took his spot under the mister. He placed himself close enough for me to feel his breath on the top of my head. Everyone needs a nappy buddy.
His eyes are changing, and I HAVE to take a picture to share. His eyes looked like they did when he was racing in NZ! Big, bright and pain free. No worry lines around his eyes! He is really getting into hugging too. Lots of him placing his face right against mine. He is such a gentle soul.
No word from easy care about sponsoring him with boots. Also contacted another company that makes a great product for hoof recovery, E3liveforhorses. Boots treat the symptoms, but I'm more interested in treating the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Something to think about for the future. We had a boy in work who had very thin soles and walls. The farrier who worked on him is very well known here and does a lot of teaching. Apart from a few regulars only works on problem footed horses. Anyway, when he first started shoeing him he would heat the nails before using them. Also used rubber lined (not pads) shoes. These helped the regrowth as seemed to give some shock absorbtion. The horse in question is now retired and showjumping but his feet improved enough that he was able to go barefoot when first retired. We had had to keep him shod when spelling so this was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete