At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Monday, September 19, 2011

Nice afternoon gallop

I rode Eclipse out in the pasture so that the herd could get some exercise too. Where the lead mare goes, the herd follows. Hawk, my arabian and Shaun were racing each other across the pasture, tails flying. They have become "fast friends" and love competing to see who gets there first. It's so nice to see Shaun running again. He loves to run, I can tell. Not because some human is on his back urging him faster. It's a joyful thing, only a 1/4 mile or so, with lots of snakey necking and crow hopping. He's still running a bit like a new pup with his back end a little sideways. I think because of that pin in his left leg.
His winter blanket arrived and it should keep him nice and warm on those cold Kansas nights. I'm concerned about the cold and the pin in his leg. I want to keep him as comfortable as possible. Maybe we will have a mild, snowless winter and by next year we can pull his shoes for the winter. Now wouldn't that be wonderful?
The supplement I'm feeding everyone has the manes and tails growing like crazy. I hope the feet are experiencing that same growth spurt. Lots of wall and sole!
Shaun eats all the time. He looks up sometimes, and I think he still is so overwhelmed by the all you can eat buffet. He's putting on good weight, he's shiney and his coat feels like velvet. Have to take some pics tomorrow. He's turning into a beautiful horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment