At the kill pen

At the kill pen
Waiting for a miracle

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Road trip

I sent two of my horses down to Missouri for training, which just left my retired quarter horse, Bit and Shaun in my pasture. I got an invite to go down and sort cows in Wichata, and I really wanted to go. Hadn't ridden Bit for three lyears, and didn't know if she'd ever been around cattle. If I took Bit, I had to take Shaun.
Got the ok to bring both horses, so I loaded them up and we were off to some of the prettiest country I've driven through. Full of history, old and new ranches, and tons of prarie as far as you can see. We arrived at the ranch, and I got Bit and Shaun all tucked in for the night. They stayed in a large round pen, high wooden walls with an attached shelter. Perfect! I knew Shaun would pitch a fit when I took Bit out, and it was the perfect place for him to do just that. He settled into the routine of Bit leaving for work (she did amazing. A little over 13 hands, she was moving heifers bigger than she was) and he kicked back, ate hay and kept the two 4 h calves company while we were gone.
I don't think it was a vacation he would have chosen, but all in all, he did great. Loaded just fine, traveled well, and was real glad to get home! Three days of dried up ole hay? Yuk! He was so happy to get back to his nice, green brom grass!

No comments:

Post a Comment